Overseas Students Health Cover

Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a health insurance that covers the cost of visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover, and some pharmaceuticals. International students must have OSHC while in Australia for the duration of their course of study or prior to your arrival in Australia.

You will need to buy OSHC before you come to Australia to cover you from when you arrive. The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) requires you to maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia. Membership of any health insurance scheme in your home country does not exempt you from having OSHC. Exemptions are only available if you are a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme: a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet; a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

Students must be covered by OSHC from the day they arrive in Australia, until the end date of their visa. It is their responsibility however to ensure that their OSHC is up-to-date once the initial coverage expires after one year. Students need to arrange their private health insurance We can help to arrange your private health insurance (OHSC) from amongst several providers of OSHC in Australia, for the duration of your study. Visit these websites to find detailed information on what they cover and to decide which provider is right for you.

Australian Health Management OSHC

BUPA Australia

Medibank Private 

OSHC World-care







Your OSHC will help you pay for any medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia and it will contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines, and an ambulance in an emergency.

The cost of OSHC (Bupa) for 2019 is as follows:

OSHC 2019 Single Couple Family
1 Year 516.12 3,000.36 5,372.40
2 Year 1,056.00 6,124.80 12,344.64

Prices are correct at the time of printing.

For more details on OSHC visit: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au or http://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/

School-aged dependents

Most student visas allow you to bring your family members to Australia as your dependants. As a prospective International student, you are required to enrol any of your school-age dependants in Australian government or non-government schools and pay full fees for their study. You will also need to provide OSHC membership for your family.

Please check with DHA about bringing your family as there are certain restrictions depending on the assessment level of your country.


Quick Contact